Monday, November 24, 2014

FINALLY!!

OK, I have got to decide if I am going to keep this blog going or if I should put it to rest.  How can it be that I have not written anything since June?  I was happy June was here, school was out and my daughter and son-in-laws had just returned to San Francisco after being here for 4 months.  I was not happy about the kids moving back, but I knew it was time for them to move forward and San Fran is their home.

So much  has gone on in my life since the last post, but I will blog about those things later.

Here is what I did this weekend and I wanted to share it with you!

Fall Getaway at Mrs. Miller's Cabin

Every November for about the past 4 years a group of us have gotten together at MMC for a Fall getaway.  It is a nice time to do this before the hectic holiday season.  Although some new faces have joined our group, the same core group is still here.  This year, Jackie, Barbara R., Gladys, Michelle, Barb B. and myself enjoyed the weekend sewing, laughing, not sleeping and eating!


Jackie and I were the first to arrive and as is the protocol, we moved the furniture to make way for tables.  We got set up and were ready to help the others as they arrived.

It didn't take long for us to get set up.

Sometimes it's about getting away from your routine and no sewing is necessary.
 
Barb B. needed a nap before she got to working on the Disappearing Pinwheel Quilt.  She is covered up in a quilt she brought to hand turn the binding.

You have to be careful, Gladys was always there ready to take a picture :)


Michelle worked on two different projects.  One is a wedding gift and one is a jelly roll quilt she made that will be raffled off.

Michelle counting the blocks of the wedding quilt.  Yep, she needed 8 more!

Here is the layout after the blocks were done.

Instead of using blocks in her Jelly Roll Quilt, Michelle chose to sew a tumbler in as a connecting block.  I am glad she thought of that, because it makes the quilt interesting.

This quilt will be raffled off to raise money for her daughter's trip to Haiti. 

Gladys worked on this quilt at our February getaway.  It is finished and she even used it on her bed at night.  The quilting design is snowflakes.


Darn!  I don't have a photo of the other snowman quilt Gladys was working on.  I am sure if you go to her blog: www.gladysgab.blogspot.com you will be able to see it.  Sorry Gladys.

Barb B. finished the Disappearing Pinwheel blocks and get them laid out in a very pleasing arrangement. 

Even the "quilt police" approve!

Barb B. also made this adorable baby quilt.  I like how she used every bit of the panel in the outer border.

Barbara R. (who is Barb B's Mom) worked on this quilt using the Kansas Trouble fabrics.  I don't know the name of the pattern, but the quilt is stunning!  Barb R. is deciding whether to put borders on or just bind it.

Barb R. finished attaching the binding to this, the last of the 6 snowman quilts she made as gifts for her grandchildren. 

I just realized I did not take any photos of the project that Jackie was working on.  It was a lovely batik quilt that looked like interlocking chains.   Once again, I am sure you can find a picture on Gladys' blog.  So sorry Jackie.

I had 4 projects I wanted to get done to the next stage of completion.  All the blocks were made and they needed sewn into rows then the rows into the quilt top.

First, Disappearing Hourglass.  This fabric was given to me by my friend Mary and I thought this would be a great pattern for it.  I am not going to put a border on, but just get it quilted and bound.  It is rather small, but will make a great baby quilt.

Another quilt that had it's blocks ready to go was Oklahoma Backroads.  This is a Bonnie Hunter aka Quiltville pattern.  A few quilters have asked me to teach this so I had to get a sample made.  I do have Bonnie's permission to use her pattern to teach this class.  I am going to add a 2.5" inner border and then a 5.5" outer border. 

Boxy Stars has been one of my favorite quilts from Bonnie's Free Quilt Pattern Page.  I am going to add a 5.5" outer border.

If you follow Bonnie's blog, you know she does quilt cam every now and then.  One day she was working on a quilt called Carolina Chains.  I found the pattern in Quiltmaker magazine and proceeded to get mine started.  I use a lot of the very bright fabrics I had ready but chose to keep the background fabric a constant.  I had that is my stash too!  I am not adding any borders, and an debating whether I should bind it in a color or use the background fabric.   Input is appreciated!

The next one I make is going t be pastel and set on point.

I have needed a tree skirt for more years than I want to count.  Jackie had this adorable pattern so I just whipped one up.  Now, staying at MMC is great because the quilt shop is just across the bridge.  I when shopping for the fabrics need for this project and finished it on Sunday morning.

I was impressed at how easy this went together and I think this will be a table topper instead of a tree skirt.  I love how my middle came together!
 
 
All the projects packed up and ready to go home.



Happy Thanksgiving !









2 comments:

  1. Sew inspiring! Love to you and the Ohio QBees! Do keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer was super busy for all of us and it was tough to keep up on the blogging!! Don't feel bad!! You're retreat was amazing and productive! Glad to see you are still doing well!! Have a great thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete